There are several clinical specialties in the field of physical therapy. Some of these physical therapy specialty areas include:
• Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy
• Clinical Electrophysiologic Physical Therapy
• Geriatric Physical Therapy
• Neurologic Physical Therapy
• Orthopedic Physical Therapy
• Pediatric Physical Therapy
• Sports Physical Therapy
• Women’s Health Physical Therapy
The concept of specialization in the field of physical therapy was approved by the House of Delegates of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) in 1975. A task force, called the Task Force on Clinical Specialization, was created. According to the APTA, “the task force was charged with identifying and defining physical therapy specialty practice areas and with developing the structure for and functions of a board-certified process.” (Swisher et.al., 2008)
Today, physical therapy specialty area examination is being administered by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialization (ABPTS).
Swisher, Anne et.al. (2007). Cardiopulm Phys Ther J. 2008 March; 19(1): 11–16.